I was watching the Dr. Oz show earlier this month. His guest was Dr. Audrey Kunin, a board certified dermatologist in Kansas City, Missouri. Here are her 5 favorite foods to help slow down the aging process:
1. Guava – guava is a fruit you can find at your local supermarket. This fruit is loaded with vitamin C, which helps to stimulate and build collagen. You only need 2 cups per week.
2. Wheat Germ – wheat germ is a concentrated source of several essential nutrients including vitamin E, folate, phosphorus, thiamin, magnesum and ZINC. Wheat germ is rich in zinc which helps to heal wounds and it is also an anti-inflammatory. All you need is 1/2 cup per day.
3. Romaine Lettuce – romaine lettuce is an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, manganese, and chromium. Vitamin A helps with cellular turnover. Six leaves a day is all you need!
4. Brazil Nuts – brazil nuts contain selenium which is very beneficial in enhancing the elasticity of the skin and can help diminish fine lines and wrinkles. Selenium also protects your skin from harmful ultraviolet rays. You should not discontinue using your daily sunscreen for maximum sun care protection. All you need is 2 nuts a day!
5. Tomatoes – tomatoes contain lycopene which is a great anti-oxidant. You should cook your tomatoes for maximum benefit or use low fat, low salt tomato sauce. All you need is ten tablespoons per week!
These foods are just a few suggestions for healthier looking skin! Check in next month for Dr. Kunin’s favorite picks for skin care products found at your local dollar store!